Reasons to Choose Garage Door Upgrades
Why should you replace your garage door? According to the National Association of Realtors 2019 Remodeling Impact Report, new garage door installations rank as number four in the top exterior projects that appeal to home buyers. If you’re not sure whether this type of upgrade is right for your home, take a look at the top reasons why homeowners choose to replace their garage doors.
Do you plan to sell your home in the near-future? Even though you might not need a new garage door for yourself, this popular home improvement project may make it easier to sell your home.
According to the National Association of Realtors 2019 survey, garage door replacement was number six on the list of exterior projects’ value for home resale. Homeowners who want to boost their property’s resale value choose a garage door service for many different reasons. These include:
- Cost recouped. While plenty of upgrades can help to sell houses, not all offer a high recoup value. According to Remodeling Magazine’s 2020 cost versus value report, the average recoup percentage for a garage door replacement is more than 94 percent.
- Initial interest. Do you want to grab the buyer’s attention? If the garage door is the first thing they’ll see, a replacement is a top home improvement option.
- Added energy efficiency. Home buyers who are looking for an energy efficient home will appreciate a new insulated garage door.
Even though added resale value is a primary reason to replace a garage door, it isn’t the only factor. If you don’t plan to sell your home anytime soon, you can still opt for this exterior addition. Along with resale value, aesthetics and beauty are other top reasons homeowners have for this upgrade.
Does your homes façade look lackluster? If the curb appeal is so-so, you may want to consider a garage door upgrade. According to the National Association of Realtors 2019 report, beauty and aesthetics were the most important results of a new garage door service.
Unlike a full exterior siding job or major paint overhaul, a garage door replacement is an easy project that makes a major aesthetic impact. Homeowners who want to improve exterior aesthetics through a garage door revamp may:
- Select a fashion color. Garage doors come in a rainbow of hues. Whether the door is pre-painted or you hire a contractor for the job, you can complement almost any exterior color palette with your door choice.
- Pick a new style. Does your plain garage door make your home fade into the background? Upgrade the entire exterior style with a standout carriage style, glass, or other specialized garage door.
- Coordinate styles. Does your existing door clash with your home’s exterior aesthetics? Upgrade your home and coordinate a continuous style with a new door.
Along with the garage door, accessories such as windows or hardware, can also add to the overall aesthetic change. Before you choose a new door, discuss popular garage door accents with the sales and installation contractor.
Wear and Tear
Does your garage door look worn? The average garage door has a 20- to 25-year lifespan, so if yours has approached or surpassed this figure, you may want to look into a replacement. Even though this two to two-and-a-half decade time-frame is typical, some doors may look worn sooner. Lack of maintenance, poor quality doors, or overuse can all cause premature wear and tear.
The 2019 National Association of Realtors Remodeling Impact reports shows that 48 percent of homeowners choose a garage door replacement for wear and tear reasons. The specific reasons may include:
- Worn surfaces. Whether the elements weathered a wooden door or time has taken its toll, surface wear is a major factor in the decision to replace a garage door.
- Worn finishes. While the structure or integrity of the door may remain intact, the surface finish could suffer from wear such as chipped paint or a splintered veneer. While you could repaint or replace a veneer, this strategy isn’t likely to solve a deeper problem.
- Worn materials. Surface wear isn’t the only reason to replace a garage door. Even though the exterior is subject to the harsh elements, wear can extend throughout the entire door. If the door has wear-related damage, holes, cracks, or another similar issue, it requires a replacement.
Exterior or interior door wear may seem like an aesthetic issue. Even though wear can detract from the look of your home, an older garage door is more likely to breakdown or cause a serious safety problem. If your door looks worn, it may also act worn. Discuss how to upgrade the overall appearance, increase garage safety, and create a fresh look for your home with a door contractor.
Do you need a new garage door? Contact Shank Door for more information on upgrades, replacements, and products.
Trackback from your site.